OWN BOOKS NEW FLYERS!
An innovative book recycling project to help young children without books have their own books at home
WHAT THE PROJECT AIMS TO DO
- Encourage young children to develop an early love of books and reading through choosing and having their own books at home.
- Allow children to select one or two books a week for themselves from the age appropriate categories, to take home when it suits them.
- Avoid any need to buy or obligation to return the books.
- Remove any stress and financial constraints on parents over acquisition of books.
- Encourage parents to read with their children at home.
A CHILD CENTRED BOOK SCHEME
The children choose their own books (which are FREE ) to take home and keep..... OR return, if they wish..... It’s their choice......
HOW THE SCHEME WORKS - What does OWN BOOKS do?
OWN BOOKS comes to your school in an assembly to present a short introductory talk and set up OWN BOOKS. We donate the books and a years supply of labels, and flyers and offer ongoing maintenance, help and support for the first twelve months.
- We set up connections, provide lists and contact details with local participating charity shops who regularly supply books.
- Other Book Sources
Room 440, Warwick District Council Offices, Milverton Hill, Leamington Spa, CV32 01926 456117 / 456207.
- We encourage parents and children who have books to donate to bring them into school.
- We encourage PTA, Librarians and Literacy Co-Ordinators to source books through Freecycle, GumTree etc.
What the SCHOOL does
- Finds bookcase in a suitable location for the OWN BOOKS books.
- Appoint an volunteer/parent/PTA member to oversee/collect and source books from local designated charity shops, lists and contact details provided, available from our website.
- Appoint responsible book monitors to label (if needed) sort and stock shelves with incoming books (under supervision if necessary.)
- There is a voluntary one time ‘set-up’ fee, of £85, which is optional as we do not wish to exclude any school from the scheme.
- We encourage the children to ‘morph’ or evolve the scheme entirely for their own enjoyment and benefit and for the school to maintain it independently after the twelve months initial support.
HELP AND ENQUIRIES will always be responded to please contact - Julie de Bastion (Founder of OWN BOOKS) firstname.lastname@example.org 01564 795071 or Judith Lindley email@example.com 01564 794885
OWN BOOKS book bags awarded to book monitors and children wishing to contribute book reviews and artistic or literary submissions for our website.
FLYERS AND LABELS
To download and print your own flyers, click here for a pdf version of the document.
To help schools use Own Books more efficiently, we've create a new webpage where flyers and labels can be downloaded as pdf files.
To download and print your our new flyer, click here
To download and print labels for your books, click here